Cleaning your dentures every day is one of the best things you can do for your oral health and to keep your dentures looking their best! If you don’t clean your dentures daily, stains and plaque can form on them and this can create denture odors.
Here are a few simple tips:
1) Always fill the sink with water before cleaning your dentures that way if they slip out of your hands they won’t break. Once you have done this clean your dentures over the sink.
2) When rinsing your dentures never use hot water – it can warp your dentures. Rinse them with cool or warm water to remove food particles.
3) Apply a denture cleaning paste, gel or cream to a moistened denture brush or a soft-bristled toothbrush and then brush all surfaces until clean. Do not use ordinary toothpaste, bleach, vinegar or soap. Avoid using brushes with stiff bristles which can damage the denture material. Do not apply denture cleaning solutions to dentures while they are still in your mouth, these solutions are not meant for oral use.
4) After brushing rinse your dentures well to remove all traces of denture cleaning solution.
5) Before going to sleep at night soak your dentures in an overnight denture cleaning solution. Soaking dentures helps kill germs that can cause odor it also helps dentures retain their shape and pliability and keeps them from drying out. Never soak dentures in hot water which can change their shape. All soaking solutions are different, follow the manufacturer’s directions carefully for best results.
6) To maintain optimal oral health, before re-inserting your dentures, brush your gums, tongue and palate with a soft-bristled regular toothbrush to remove plaque and stimulate circulation. Then re-insert your dentures.
7) To keep your mouth feeling fresh and clean, rinse with a mouthwash several times a day.
8) Professional Cleaning: Over the years dentures acquire plaque on their surfaces and may require a professional cleaning to remove the calcification. Denturist trim the plaque off the dentures with a bur and a hand piece. Then they pre-polish the dentures with a rubber cone and use a polisher to produce a final smooth finish. At McMurray Denture Clinic we provide all of our New Patients with a free denture cleaning and a free initial consultation to assess their denture needs. Call our clinic today to book your Free Consultation!
We look forward to serving you!